How many times do I hear myself say, "where is that big orange binder?" or "has anyone seen that big orange binder?" The big orange binder has been accumulating recipes, kinspiration & original recipe cards tucked into plastic sleeves for my entire-almost-forty year existence. "The Big Orange Binder" is an organization attempt. It's a recipe with a story neatly packaged in a place where I'll always be able to find the ever-elusive . . . Big Orange Binder.

Wednesday, January 29, 2014

Sweet Roll Dough


** Cinnamon rolls at Christmas time are a holiday tradition.  This is the recipe from when I was a little girl – I think it was Betty Crocker, but am not certain.  I can remember the big red and white checkered cookbook that my mom kept above the refrigerator.  It had crunchy pages and smeared writing from having so many things splashed and spilled on it.  I remember making these rolls when we lived in the farmhouse at Star . . . .we’d pull the dough up to rise in a big yellow bowl, cover it and balance it on top of the woodpile to rise.

½ cup warm water
2 pkg active dry yeast
1 ½ cups lukewarm milk
½ c. sugar
2 eggs
½ c. shortening
7-7 ½ cups flour

Dissolve yeast in water.
Add milk, sugar, salt, egg, shortening & half of flour.  Mix well.
Add enough flour to handle easily; about half OR until dough balls on hooks.
Turn onto lightly floured board & knead until smooth. (Remember to take your rings off!)
Round up in a greased bowl. Cover with cloth & allow to rise in a warm place until double; about 90 minutes.  Call a kid over & have them wash hands & punch down (what fun!!).  Flip it, cover and allow to rise again; about 30 minutes.  Shape, make additions & bake until golden brown.  YUM! 

No comments:

Post a Comment