How many times do I hear myself say, "where is that big orange binder?" or "has anyone seen that big orange binder?" The big orange binder has been accumulating recipes, kinspiration & original recipe cards tucked into plastic sleeves for my entire-almost-forty year existence. "The Big Orange Binder" is an organization attempt. It's a recipe with a story neatly packaged in a place where I'll always be able to find the ever-elusive . . . Big Orange Binder.

Tuesday, December 24, 2013

Bread Machine Basic White Bread


I like to use the dough function --- 

This is the RECIPE I always LOSE!  Darn it, I spend half of the holiday looking for this recipe and the other half trying to remember to blog the damn thing. 

1 1/2 cups H20, @ room temp
3 tbsp of butter, @ room temp, cut into little cubes
1 tbps honey (I just put a big squirt in, cause I HATE washing a tbsp out that's had honey in it . . . I mean, really, what's the point??)
1 1/2 tsp salt
4 cups of bread flour
1/4/ cup of nonfat dry milk 
1 3/4 tsp yeast 

Dough cycle.  And a holiday story to go with it.  We have the Cuisinart Bread Machine.  It has bells and whistles the likes of which I will never use.  Still, they are there.  Over Christmas in 2012, I had a very well planned out holiday meal that I planned to complete and serve earlier in the day than usual.  2-3 pm is comfortable for me.  It means I don't have to get up early and shove my hands up the business end of a bird before the sun comes up.  11-12 is a pain in the fanny.  It means I have lots of pre-dawn kitchen business and I get halfway through the day and begin feeling hungover and exhausted. 

So, on this particular holiday, I tried out one of the whistles and bells on the Cuisinart Bread Machine and set it to the dough cycle so that we could wake up and the first rising would be complete.  Little did I know that when it begins on the delay timer, it makes a series of high pitched beeps.  It sounds exactly, exactly, exactly like the intruder alert on our security system.   So, at 4:20 am when the bread maker kicked on and fifteen alarms chirped in the middle of the night, out of bed shot hubby.  He staggered around and scratched and cursed, grabbed his gun and damn near shot the bread maker. 

And that, sports fans, is why I NEVER use the delay function on the bread machine. 

No comments:

Post a Comment