How many times do I hear myself say, "where is that big orange binder?" or "has anyone seen that big orange binder?" The big orange binder has been accumulating recipes, kinspiration & original recipe cards tucked into plastic sleeves for my entire-almost-forty year existence. "The Big Orange Binder" is an organization attempt. It's a recipe with a story neatly packaged in a place where I'll always be able to find the ever-elusive . . . Big Orange Binder.

Tuesday, October 23, 2012

Brown Butter Snickerdoodles - Stolen.


Brown Butter Snickerdoodles

8 ounces (2 sticks) unsalted butter, cut into 1/2-inch cubes
2 3/4 cups all-purpose flour
2 ½ tsp. cream of tarter
1 tsp. baking soda
1 TBSP plus 2 tsp. cinnamon, divided
¾ tsp. freshly ground nutmeg
½ tsp. salt
2 large eggs
1 TBSP whole milk
1 cup plus 3 TBSP granulated sugar, divided
½ cup firmly packed light brown sugar
In a medium skillet, melt the butter over medium heat swirling the pan occasionally until the foam subsides and the butter turns nut brown, 8 to 10 minutes. Pour the browned butter through a strainer directly into the bowl of a standing mixer fitted with a paddle attachment. Beat the butter on medium-low speed to release the heat and bring it to room temperature, 5 to 7 minutes. A lot of people are shy about getting their butter brown too brown. You want it to get a nutty aroma. That is what will give it a different flavor than just a regular snickerdoodle.
In a large bowl, whisk together the flour, cream of tartar, baking soda, 1 tsp. of the cinnamon, nutmeg (not everyone likes nutmeg but I really think it adds something to the snickerdoodle), and the salt.
In a small bowl, combine the eggs and milk and whisk lightly.
Once the butter is cooled, turn off the mixer, add 1 cup of the granulated sugar and the brown sugar, and beat on medium speed for about 2 minutes. Scrape down the sides and bottom of the bowl and beat again for a few seconds. Turn the mixer to low and stream in the egg mixture, continue beating on medium speed until thoroughly combined, 30 to 45 seconds.
Add the flour mixture in three parts, beating after each addition for 10 to 15 seconds, or until just barely incorporated. Scrape down the sides of the bowl and gather the dough into a mound in the middle. Cover the bowl and refrigerate for at least 1 hour or up to 24 hours. I waited about 4 hours but remember the longer you go the more flavor you will have.
Preheat the oven to 400 degrees F. Line two baking sheets with parchment paper.

No comments:

Post a Comment