How many times do I hear myself say, "where is that big orange binder?" or "has anyone seen that big orange binder?" The big orange binder has been accumulating recipes, kinspiration & original recipe cards tucked into plastic sleeves for my entire-almost-forty year existence. "The Big Orange Binder" is an organization attempt. It's a recipe with a story neatly packaged in a place where I'll always be able to find the ever-elusive . . . Big Orange Binder.

Saturday, August 18, 2012

Six Weeks' Bran Muffins . . . .

I'll count this as one of the good things that's come from my mother-in-law.  In my hubby's house as a child, he says this was something of a holiday tradition . . . . he and his sister had to eat bran muffins, oatmeal or grapefruit BEFORE they were allowed to dig into Santa gifts.    Anyhoo, this is a favorite recipe for all around muffins . . . .



In a large mixing bowl: 

1 cup of Nabisco 100% bran cereal (I can seldom find this anymore, so I use Bran Buds)
1/2 cup, 1 stick of butter or margarine (I use butter)
1 cup of boiling water

Pour water over the cereal & butter.  Mix completely.  Allow to cool.

When cool, add:

1 1/2 cups sugar
2 cups of buttermilk
2 eggs, slightly beaten

Mix well, then add:

2 3/4 cups flour (I use 1/2 wheat and 1/2 white)
1 tsp salt
2 3/4 tsp baking soda

Mix well, then add:

2 cups of Kellogg's All Bran Cereal

For fresh muffins, put these in foil cups and bake for 20 minutes at 400 degrees.  This batter stores for up to SIX weeks (hence, the name) in a glass, airtight container in the refrigerator.  The muffins are actually markedly better the second week, so make this the week of Christmas for delicious hot muffins on Christmas morning.

Yummy additions:  cinnamon & oat topping, raisins and/or nuts.

No comments:

Post a Comment