How many times do I hear myself say, "where is that big orange binder?" or "has anyone seen that big orange binder?" The big orange binder has been accumulating recipes, kinspiration & original recipe cards tucked into plastic sleeves for my entire-almost-forty year existence. "The Big Orange Binder" is an organization attempt. It's a recipe with a story neatly packaged in a place where I'll always be able to find the ever-elusive . . . Big Orange Binder.

Saturday, August 25, 2012

Freezer to Crock Pot Sante Fe Chicken

I wish I would have written the source down on this one.  I pasted it into a word document long ago and it's been sitting in my recipe collection . . . .

This is a freezer to crock pot creation, so prep and freeze, then thaw (the night before) & toss in the crock pot in the morning.

Prep bag . . .  2 pounds of boneless, skinless chicken breast, 1 chopped red pepper, 1/2 onion (chopped), 1/2 tsp cumin, 2 T cilantro.

Freeze.

Thaw.

On cooking morning, put the contents of the bag plus one can of black beans, 1 can of corn & 1 medium sized jar of salsa into the crock pot.  Cook on high for 3-4 hours or low for 6-8 hours.  Serve over rice.

** Notes:  this is the original recipe.  I first did this recipe with 2 pounds of chicken and it was enough to feed an army.  I would have considered it a double-batch, for my family of SIX, but it you cut the chicken by 1/2, it's lots and lots of veggies.  My family likes that, but yours may not -- so I'd keep the original recipe and plan for leftovers.  A lot of leftovers.   Also, I've done this recipe for 3-4 hours on high and 6-8 hours on low and my family much prefers the 3-4 hours on high version.  The 6-8 on low comes out super, super squishy and soft with just about no texture and it looks disgusting.

No comments:

Post a Comment