How many times do I hear myself say, "where is that big orange binder?" or "has anyone seen that big orange binder?" The big orange binder has been accumulating recipes, kinspiration & original recipe cards tucked into plastic sleeves for my entire-almost-forty year existence. "The Big Orange Binder" is an organization attempt. It's a recipe with a story neatly packaged in a place where I'll always be able to find the ever-elusive . . . Big Orange Binder.

Wednesday, August 29, 2012

Crock Pot Lasagna

Oh My Land . . . this was delish.  And such an easy prep and go recipe, perfect for fall nights.    If you already have a lasagna recipe, just use your own.  Layer into a crock pot that has been generously sprayed with cooking spray.  Then cook on low for 4-5 hours.  Don't try to rush it and boost it up to high.  I suggest no-bake lasagna noodles . . . just break them to fit.  Also, add lots and lots of sauce . . . .

In case you don't have a recipe, here's mine, from the land of pinch-of-that and dab-of-this .   . .

Prep sauce the night before, or make a double batch a few days before.  I use my super simple Bolognese.

In a bowl, make a cheese layer mixture.  I use:  a medium sized container of cottage cheese, a small container of ricotta, parmesan to cover the top and a handful of mozzarella.  Add an egg to this, plus 1 tsp of salt and 1 tsp of pepper.  If you like green flecks, add in about 2 generous teaspoons of Italian herbs, in whatever combination you like.

Then, layer in the crockpot.  ** Of special note .  . my crock pot runs super-hot, so I put a layer of ziti in the bottom, so that if it burned, it wouldn't be the lasagna, just the layer of ziti.  Add generous sauce to prevent burning to the bottom  . . . .

Serve with tossed salad & french bread.  Delish.  And so, so easy.

No comments:

Post a Comment