How many times do I hear myself say, "where is that big orange binder?" or "has anyone seen that big orange binder?" The big orange binder has been accumulating recipes, kinspiration & original recipe cards tucked into plastic sleeves for my entire-almost-forty year existence. "The Big Orange Binder" is an organization attempt. It's a recipe with a story neatly packaged in a place where I'll always be able to find the ever-elusive . . . Big Orange Binder.

Friday, August 17, 2012

Coconut Curry Chicken


I'm building stock of prep-ahead freezer to crock pot meals that I can prep on shopping day and then reap the rewards of my uber-organization on crazy sports days.  Here's ONE of the many that I've given a whirl.  As with ALL chicken recipes, it wasn't an all around hit with my family, but it's damn near impossible to please every mouth and tummy at the table. 
Source:  modified from this Chicken Curry recipe at Martha Stewart and further lifted and modified from Kojo Designs
Prep day -- Put this stuff in the bag:  The original recipe calls for 3 pounds boneless, skinless chicken thighs . . . that would feed my family of six for two weeks.  We are into small portions and a large side salad, so I use TWO trimmed chicken breast sections.  It also calls for 2 lbs. of chopped butternut squash (I use a cup) , 2 medium onions (I used 1/2 a red onion), chopped, 8 minced garlic cloves (which I omit altogether since garlic comes back to visit me at 2 am), 1 oz fresh ginger, 2 tablespoons of curry powder, 1 tsp ground coriander, 1 t ground cumin, a good pinch of coarse salt.
On cooking day:   Add the contents of the bag and a can of coconut milk to a slow cooker and cook on low all day. 25 minutes before serving, add another can of coconut milk and a bag of frozen peas (I used California blend instead of just peas since my kids all like broccoli).
Serve . . .  Garnish with chopped cashews (I didn't)  and cilantro (except if you’re us and you hate cilantro- then just garnish with cashews).

No comments:

Post a Comment