How many times do I hear myself say, "where is that big orange binder?" or "has anyone seen that big orange binder?" The big orange binder has been accumulating recipes, kinspiration & original recipe cards tucked into plastic sleeves for my entire-almost-forty year existence. "The Big Orange Binder" is an organization attempt. It's a recipe with a story neatly packaged in a place where I'll always be able to find the ever-elusive . . . Big Orange Binder.

Friday, August 24, 2012

Cheesy Potato Bake or Skillet

A take-off from this recipe.

I altered it, in classic "I'm cooking" sense . . . .

Here's what I did . . . .

I washed, peeled & thinly sliced about 3 pounds of potatoes.  Then, in the biggest skillet I have, I quick boiled them until they were fork tender.  Then I strained them and set them aside.

In the same skillet, I browned 1 pound of smoked chicken sausage. (Though it's very true that you could use ANY meat for this . . . . ham would be delish!)

Also, into the skillet with the browned meat, add and mix well . . . .

4 tablespoons of butter
4 tablespoons of flour
2 cups of milk
a pinch of salt & a dash of pepper
1/2 pound of cubed Velveeta

Mix this all together until the cheesy is bubbly, melted and smooth, then add the boiled potatoes back in.  Combine well and serve hot.

No comments:

Post a Comment