How many times do I hear myself say, "where is that big orange binder?" or "has anyone seen that big orange binder?" The big orange binder has been accumulating recipes, kinspiration & original recipe cards tucked into plastic sleeves for my entire-almost-forty year existence. "The Big Orange Binder" is an organization attempt. It's a recipe with a story neatly packaged in a place where I'll always be able to find the ever-elusive . . . Big Orange Binder.

Friday, August 24, 2012

Breakfast Casserole a la Pot de Crock

From a pinner, who re-pinned and then re-pinned and then it was re-pinned so many stinkin' times, I can hardly trace the real recipe.  Then once I find it, there's errors on the page and I can't reference it, so here's my best extrapolation . . . .

First, let me say . . . it sounded like you could just toss all of this into the crock pot at night, sleep while it cooked and wake up to a fresh and shiny perfect world.  Not so much . . . there's some prep involved, but it's still darn good  . . .

6-8 strips of bacon
an onion, optional, peeled & chopped
a clove of garlic, peeled & minced, that's optional too
1 cup of whole milk (but I subbed what we had . . which is skim)
1 red or green pepper, cored, diced
1 bag of frozen hash browns
1 1/2 shredded cheese
12 eggs
dill, salt & pepper


Bacon:  Cook it, drain it, chop it and set it aside.
Garlic & Onion & Peppers:  Sautee and set aside.

Spray the bottom of the crock pot, or line it.
Add 1/2 of the frozen hash browns (about a pound if you're using a 2 lb bag)
Then layer (like a lasagna) bacon, onion/garlic/pepper mixture & cheese.  Repeat with the rest of the hash browns, more bacon, more onion/garlic/pepper and another healthy handful of shredded cheese.

In a separate bowl, whisk up the eggs, milk, salt, pepper & whatever other spices you like.  Pour this over the layers in the crock.  Cook on low for 8-10 hours.

No comments:

Post a Comment