How many times do I hear myself say, "where is that big orange binder?" or "has anyone seen that big orange binder?" The big orange binder has been accumulating recipes, kinspiration & original recipe cards tucked into plastic sleeves for my entire-almost-forty year existence. "The Big Orange Binder" is an organization attempt. It's a recipe with a story neatly packaged in a place where I'll always be able to find the ever-elusive . . . Big Orange Binder.

Thursday, August 16, 2012

Applesauce Muffins


Really?  How did I not have this in The Big Orange Binder until now?  I went hunting for the recipe and could NOT find it.  Acck.  Panic nearly set in.



This recipe is from my days as a nanny.  I'd get up early with Alex and Nikki and they'd sit on the counter in their million-dollar kitchen and stir the ingredients for fresh applesauce muffins.  Now, my own kids make these muffins and love them.  They seldom last more than a morning.  

In a large bowl, mix: 

1 egg
2 tbsp of oil (my favorite is coconut oil) 
1 1/2 cups of applesauce
3/4 tsp soda
2 tsp baking powder
1/2 tsp nutmeg
1/2 tsp cinnamon 
2 cups of flour 

** I also add about 1/3 cup of sugar, only IF the applesauce is natural or unsweetened.  My kids also like these with a generous handful of mini-chocolate chips mixed in.  You can also add all kinds of wintery varieties like raisins, nuts or just a spoonful or two of pureed pumpkin.  

Bake in foil muffin cups for about 20-25 minutes at 350 or until the top springs back to the touch.  Enjoy. 

No comments:

Post a Comment