How many times do I hear myself say, "where is that big orange binder?" or "has anyone seen that big orange binder?" The big orange binder has been accumulating recipes, kinspiration & original recipe cards tucked into plastic sleeves for my entire-almost-forty year existence. "The Big Orange Binder" is an organization attempt. It's a recipe with a story neatly packaged in a place where I'll always be able to find the ever-elusive . . . Big Orange Binder.

Thursday, July 5, 2012

Naftanel Microwave Carmel Popcorn

From the kitchen of Kim, my girlfriend a fellow mother-of-a-big family.  She shared this recipe years ago with me and it has become a weekly staple, birthday treat and favorite after school snack. 

In a microwave safe bowl, put 1 stick of butter, 1/2 tsp of salt, 1 cup of brown sugar & 1/4 cup of light karo syrup.  Microwave this on high for 1 1/2 minutes.  

Take this out of the microwave & stir it well.  

Return it to the microwave and cook on high for an additional 2 to 2 1/2 minutes.  Take it out and add 1 tsp of vanilla and 1/2 tsp of baking soda.  


The mixture will bubble up.  Don't be alarmed. 


Stir this together well. 



Have a big batch of popcorn ready, in a large brown paper bag. 


Then, pour the mixture over the popcorn.  I use 3 bags of microwave popcorn or an equivalent amount of air popped or stove popped. 
Fold the edges of the bag and shake it like crazy. 

Then, stuff the whole thing in the microwave and cook it on high for 30 seconds.  

Remove it and shake it well.  Repeat this 3 times. 

Open the bag and empty contents onto a tray, wax paper or foil to cool. 

Enjoy!! 

** A word . . . do not double this recipe!! 

1 comment:

  1. I just googled and 4 quarts of popcorn is 16 cups.... which is about 1/2 cup unpopped. Had to do the math since I use an air popper. I'm thinking this recipe requires 3-4 quarts of popcorn.... so 12-16 cups (popped). I'll try it and see.....

    ReplyDelete