How many times do I hear myself say, "where is that big orange binder?" or "has anyone seen that big orange binder?" The big orange binder has been accumulating recipes, kinspiration & original recipe cards tucked into plastic sleeves for my entire-almost-forty year existence. "The Big Orange Binder" is an organization attempt. It's a recipe with a story neatly packaged in a place where I'll always be able to find the ever-elusive . . . Big Orange Binder.

Wednesday, July 25, 2012

Colorado Peach Cobbler

1 cup sugar
2 tbsp all purpose flour
1/4 tsp ground nutmeg
4 cups sliced, peeled, fresh peaches

Topping:
1 cup sugar
1 cup of all purpose flour
1 tsp baking powder
1 tsp salt
1/3 cup cold butter or margarine
1 egg, beaten
Ice cream:  optional

In a bowl, combine sugar, flour and nutmeg.  Add peaches; stir to coat.  pour into a greased pan (approx 11x7x2).   For topping, combine sugar, flour, baking powder and salt.  Cut in the butter until the mixture resembles coarse crumbs.  Stir in egg.  Spoon over peaches.  Bake at 375 for 35-40 minutes or until the filling is bubbly and topping is golden brown.  Serve hot or cold, with ice cream or whipped cream. 

Yield:  8-10
Credit:  Clara Hinman from Flagler Colorado . . .

Ann's topping variation:
When I was 11 years old, I started working as a bus girl at this little restaurant at the end of Main Street.  Through the 6 years that I worked there, I grew to know and really love Ann and Ray, the husband and wife owners.  In many ways, they were like second parents to me.  I loved their children and working for their little cook-your-own-steak restaurant.  Every fall, Ann made peach cobbler from scratch.  We'd peel peaches after the lunch rush and have fresh cobbler warm and ready for the dinner crowd.  Her topping variation is this:  bisquick with a little sugar and a little milk.  We never measured anything . . . we just eyeballed it and went by taste and consistancy.  When it was sweet to taste and stuck to the spoon like biscuits, we'd glob it over the peaches and bake it up as directed above.  Delicious down to the last bite  .  . and I think, WAY better cold.  Way better cold!!

No comments:

Post a Comment