How many times do I hear myself say, "where is that big orange binder?" or "has anyone seen that big orange binder?" The big orange binder has been accumulating recipes, kinspiration & original recipe cards tucked into plastic sleeves for my entire-almost-forty year existence. "The Big Orange Binder" is an organization attempt. It's a recipe with a story neatly packaged in a place where I'll always be able to find the ever-elusive . . . Big Orange Binder.

Monday, July 23, 2012

Bread Machine Soft Pretzels . . . So easy your toddler can do it

The Dough . . . 
In the bread machine . . . . 

1 pkg active dry yeast
1 tbsp sugar
3 cups flour
1 cup water
1/2 tsp salt
2 tbsp oil
1 egg white, beaten

Put the ingredients in the bread machine.  Do it in the order that your machine manufacturer suggests.   I'm not so good at this.  I figure it all gets mixed in anyway, so I just toss it all in.  I tend to put liquid in first, then solid, then the dashes of small things.  That's just so I can see what I've added.  I get easily distracted, especially in the kitchen.  I use the dough cycle.


Step one.  Cut into pieces & roll into snakes.

Step two:  Make a "v"

Step three:  Cross the ends.  Then twist the ends.

Step four:  fold the ends back over on top of the loop. 

Voila.  Pretzel.

For a traditional pretzel, dip this into baking soda & water
before placing on a baking sheet. 

I say, let it take a while.  Let some be ugly.
Practice doesn't really need to make perfect.
The mis-shapen ones will get eaten, too. 


Be creative.  Make snail shells and cinnamon rolls.

And twists.

And cover those with cinnamon & sugar instead of dipping in soda water.
Delish.

Salt them right out of the oven. 

MMM!! Enjoy!! 

No comments:

Post a Comment