How many times do I hear myself say, "where is that big orange binder?" or "has anyone seen that big orange binder?" The big orange binder has been accumulating recipes, kinspiration & original recipe cards tucked into plastic sleeves for my entire-almost-forty year existence. "The Big Orange Binder" is an organization attempt. It's a recipe with a story neatly packaged in a place where I'll always be able to find the ever-elusive . . . Big Orange Binder.

Wednesday, July 25, 2012

Bigelow Constant Comment Shortbread Cookies

Constant Comment was my mom's favorite tea. I can remember her sipping it at her sewing machine in the evenings.  I've come to love the aroma as much as the taste.  It's one of my favorite treats, too. So, of course, I love these cookies!

4 Constant Comment bags
1 1/2 cups butter, unsalted, cut into cubes
1/2 cups sugar
1/4 cups milk
2 cups flour

Oven to 350
Milk in saucepan; heat until bubbles around the side; but do not boil
Remove from heat
Add tea bags
Cool
Squeeze to drain

In bowl
Flour and sugar
Cut in butter
Toss to coat
Then begin working with fingertips until the consistence is sandy

Make a well in the center
Add the cooled milk and tea
Toss to moisten
Then work with fingers until a soft dough forms

Wrap in plastic
Refrigerate for 30 minutes
Roll on floured surface until 1/4 inch thick
Cut with cutter

Bake 12-15 minutes or until golden brown
Do NOT overbake
Cool
Enjoy

Varieties: 
5 cinnamon stick tea bags
or
4 fruit and almond bags
or
5 orange and spice bags

No comments:

Post a Comment