How many times do I hear myself say, "where is that big orange binder?" or "has anyone seen that big orange binder?" The big orange binder has been accumulating recipes, kinspiration & original recipe cards tucked into plastic sleeves for my entire-almost-forty year existence. "The Big Orange Binder" is an organization attempt. It's a recipe with a story neatly packaged in a place where I'll always be able to find the ever-elusive . . . Big Orange Binder.

Monday, June 4, 2012

Hard Baked Eggs


Here's the results of a recent Pinterest Experiement:  

Hard Baked, Not Hard Boiled Eggs. 
Sounds genius, right. 
Here is the original source.  Please feel free to reference all you want. 

We are HUGE hard boiled egg fans in this house.  I buy eggs five dozen at a time.  Usually, I hard boil half that load as soon as it hits the door.  Hard boiled eggs are nearly the perfect food.  The texture is always right, there's a wee bit of protein, they are portable and perfect.  

So, I thought this was a novel idea and could see it coming to frequent use in our house. 

Step 1:  Put the eggs in a muffin pan (or that's what I did, because that's what she did). 
Bake at 350 for 30 minutes.  
I did 350.  Because I do just about everything at 350.  
350 is my safe place.


 Step 2: After 30 minutes, immediately remove the eggs from the pan, with a kitchen tool, of course and plunge them into an ice bath.  This is an important step.  I learned it after the third experiment batch.  So, do this step. 


Step 3:  Let the little darlings swim in icy water for a while, then refrigerate & eat as desired.  
Perfectly easy. 


Results:   These guys are 30 minutes @ 350 eggs.  
For my kiddos, that's too gooey in the middle. 
So, I did a second batch at 350 for 40 minutes, which was just right.
Having a limited number of bowls available to icy swimming pools, I ran cold water over the third batch.  Not so good.


Note:  Your eggies will develop little brown dots in the oven.  I don't know why she swallowed the fly, but I know you'll not die.  They wash off at icy bath time.


Here's the lazy woman method . . . run-cool-water-over-me.  
It didn't work as well.  The eggs cooled slower, and my guess is that they continued to cook for a bit in the shells.  They were rubbery and overdone.  Also, the brown dots on the outside went through the shells, sort of, and stuck to the membrane.  It made peeling them a two horned bitch, so I don't recommend this.  Just ice 'em, baby. 


Peeling was pretty dreamy.  It was easy peasy lemon squeezy, at least with the ice water batches.  The overdone ones . . . not so easy and they were gross.


Conclusion: 
It worked jolly well. 
I prefer the taste, texture and peel-ability of hard boiled eggs with a drop or two of EVOO instead, but it's nice to have an alternative, for sure.  And, if you've already got the oven on, it's nice to be able to throw eggs in with whatever is baking.  

Sure, I'd do it again . . . even though it takes four times as long.  I like having options.

Experiment successful. 

No comments:

Post a Comment